Friday 16 May 2008

Talking Servers

Last night saw Kieran giving the society a talk on the current server setup and the proposed setup for the new server.

Amongst the more interesting facts were:

* Wired's e-mails are spam filtered by the university mail server. Even though my inbox is full of messages about "love sticks" and pills, most of it is apparently dropped.
* I am not allowed to blacklist logcheck emails as spam... :)
* On the new server, there will be a virtual server dedicated to the resource intensive service that is.... IRC.
* Kieran is to retain root access until at least the summer is over as he has physical access working in St. Andrews. Working in Dundee, I'm still too far away to stop him.

Still, it was a very interesting presentation. I thought I'd better not write about it on the night due to the consumption of small amounts intoxicating beveridges.

No comments:

Post a Comment