Sunday 4 May 2008

First Post!

Well, welcome the the world of steelegbr.

As sysadmin for
WiredSoc and Head of IT/Tech at STAR I'll try to bring you updates of
keeping things ticking over and any spectacular incidents in both
areas. I might even throw in the odd rant about IT or the world in
general.

Lets start things off with today. STAR got a new
committee last week and required updates to the website and e-mail
system to cater for this. Updating the e-mail system seemed to go ok
(things don't tend to go too wrong with Google for Domains). The only
issue was me misreading a name and changing somebody's gender - oops!

The
website is where the fun started. STAR uses a bespoke system for admin
and usually works quite well. Though what was overlooked was a way to
change the committee positions on the website. It required a
combination of SQL and PHP from myself to fix. It turns out the
committee positions were hard coded into the PHP to enforce order.

Oh well, I'll get it changed (once I can remember how to update the website...).

No comments:

Post a Comment