Monday 28 July 2008

Dropping Down A Level

Most of the programming discussed in this blog has been in managed languages (e.g. VB.NET, C#) where almost everything is done for you. Garbage collection, memory management. In most situations, it's great to have it all done for you and concentrating on the programming. However, this weekend, I decided to program in a bit of C.

The application in question is a small command line application that calculates accurite track lengths. Making use of the FMOD Ex API, it plays a track, constantly checking the levels. From this the actual end point is calculated. The result is no dead air on STAR.

It's not been without its problems though. I've completed the audio part of the application and most of the database side of things. However, I have run into the error "Could not connect to database. Reason: could not create socket: Too many open files" when trying to connect to the database. Annoying, and surprisingly the suggested fixes on google are no help.

So, I'm planning to test it on one of the STAR machines. Problem being I'll need to install the FMOD library on the machine. Thankfully not really an issue as it is supplied compiled. The installer just copies files over. So we should be ok without having make on the machines to run through the script.

I've also been informed I should be packaging the application. Specifically in a .deb package as we are running debian. Not really a priority in my book (I'm more interested in getting the application working and running) but would be nice. Though I should point out that the debian packaging documentation was not the easiest to find. Once there, it seems easy enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment